This blog post is my personal interpretation and summary of discussions from meetings that I attend and are not official minutes.
In attendance was Interim Supt. – Bill Ryan, Director of Business & Finance – Fran Antonelli, Director of Business & Finance Asst – Michael Knight and all of our SC Members.
- Final Audit Melanson Heath & Company – The final audit for 2016 was presented to the SC that provided information on the Financial Status of our District. You can read the entire Financial Statement by clicking here: Financial Statement 2016
- Financial Highlights
- As of the close of the current fiscal year, the total net position was $17,367,389, a change of $(1,059,720) in comparison to the prior year.
- As of the close of the current fiscal year, governmental funds reported combined ending fund balances of $3,349,899, a change of $481,848 in comparison to the prior year.
- At the end of the current fiscal year, unassigned fund balance for the general fund was $1,073,178 a change of $241,726 in comparison to prior year.
- Total long-term debt (ie. bond payable) at the close of the current fiscal year was $16,050,000 a change of $(2,411,000) in comparison to prior year.
- Financial Highlights
- Audit of Flo Ro & Swallow Union Student Activity Fund – An internal audit of the Swallow Union Student Activity Fund was conducted for the period 7/1/2015 through 6/30/2016, as required by MGL Chapter 71, section 47 and in accordance with Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education audit guidelines. It was presented by the District Accountant – Polly McGrath. Aside from the findings listed within each audit report, the financial records, policies, procedures and internal controls in place are sufficient to support the objectives of the management of the Student Activities of the Swallow Union & Flo Ro Elementary School.
- School Choice – The Interim Supt. recommended we continue to participate in School Choice but do not offer it for the upcoming school year. The principals at all schools are comfortable with the class sizes and it is in the best interest of our District. SC voted & unanimously approved
- Director of Business & Finance Appointment – The Interim Supt. recommended that the SC appoint Michael Knight to the position of Business & Finance Director. Frank Antonelli the current Director of Business & Finance has been our interim and working side by side with Michael for a year and highly recommends him as well. SC voted & unanimously approved
- Recommendation to approve five (5) year Capital Plan – The SC has been reviewing and deliberating the plan for quite some time. With the inclusion of all capital expense of $5000 per project (per DESE not per unit is the current practice amongst districts) within the plan, the SC was prepared to finalize the plan. The finalized Plan will be uploaded to the GDRSD website, however, the spreadsheet including all costs of the Capital Plan & Technology Plan is below. I suggested that the SC meet with peer boards to come up with a game plan to fund the Capital & Technology Plan whereas the combined cost of the two plans average $725,000 annually for our District with the most expensive year being FY19. The total cost of the plans would be distributed by enrollment as laid out in the regional agreement, SC agreed that discussions would commence after the May elections in both towns. SC Voted & unanimously approved
- Superintendent Contract for Dr. Laura Chesson – The contract has been negotiated with the SC and Dr. Laura Chesson. SC voted & unanimously approved
- GD @ Play MOU – The MOU to lease (lease amount $1.00) the HS field to allow GD @ Play to conduct the construction of the Dual Surface Field was drafted and presented to the SC. SC voted & unanimously approved
- Programmatic Review/District Audit – Abrahams Group has been collecting data to conduct their two portions – the District Financial and Operation. The original RFP Programmatic Review Screening committee will continue to be involved throughout the process. Since Alison Manugian is no longer going to be on the SC after the election, the SC will discuss the possibility of another SC member taking her place.
Meeting adjourned – 8:40 PM