All school committee members were present tonight in addition to Superintendent – Dr. Kristan Rodriguez, Assistant Superintendent – Dr. Katie Novak and Director of Business & Finance – Jared Stanton.
- We began the meeting with the annual School Committee Reorganization; this process elects a chair, vice chair and secretary of the SC for the next year. The School Committee unanimously voted the following members to their positions.
- Jeff Kubick – 2nd year as SC Chair
- Jennifer McKenzie – new SC Vice Chair
- Marlena Gilbert – Secretary (more minutes for me)
- The SC received the annual report from independent accountants/auditor – Melanson Heath. This report is on the basic financial statements of the GDRSD as of and for the year June 2015. Frank Biron of Melanson Heath referenced that the audit showed no weakness or deficiencies in the report and that the District runs a lean budget.
- School Committee voted on not to offer any additional school choice seats for the upcoming year with the current class sizes being higher than preferred.
- Jane Allen was reappointed to the SC Representative for the Charter Review Committee – unanimously
- Superintendent Evaluation – received an overall exemplary rating from the SC evaluation that was just completed last month.
- FY17 Budget – SC instructed the Superintendent to utilize the guidance set forth at the last two SC meetings to comprise a formal list of needs from the NA for the SC review. The SC will vote on these specific items and finalize the actual budget that would not exceed the assessment difference of the $2.65 million identified in the previous workshop from May 24th.
- Both Dr. Kristan Rodriguez and Dr. Katie Novak have been volunteering their time in teaching courses to G-D staff. Most recently Dr. Rodriguez has opened a course up to neighboring districts. The course helps guide school leaders and educators put the UDL framework into practice. So far there are 6 participants from neighboring districts that have signed up for the $500 course and the offer to sign up for the course was just released 2-3 days ago. This is just another way that our Superintendent is going above and beyond for our district in personal efforts to raising revenues and help guide the G-D staff. G-D teachers are able to take the course towards credits and receive a complimentary copy of the guidebook that was written by Dr. Rodriguez and Dr. Novak. You may purchase a copy of the guidebook at Amazon – http://www.amazon.com/Universally-Designed-Leadership-Applying-Systems/dp/1930583621
- The SC discussed scheduling a tentative SC meeting immediately following the Dunstable & Groton TM so they are better prepared should the school budget fail at either TM on June 13th & 14th. This meeting would be to discuss the possibility of calling a district meeting should either town reject the new school budget. The SC is also researching possible locations for a district meeting to avoid any possible last-minute preparations that may be necessary in finalizing the school budget.
The consensus is that the SC prefers not to have a district meeting.
The consensus is that the SC are looking for the strong, verbal support from all other elected officials.
The consensus is that the SC must meet the most crucial needs of our students in FY17. Those needs are the emotional & behavioral needs, students with disabilities & high needs, an open library (certified librarian to teach research/study skills & keep library open) and custodians (to allow students to use clean & functional bathrooms).
Meeting adjourned at roughly 8:30pm – the sun was actually just setting when we left the building.